This is the first cake i baked . First time, I made it for my hubby’s birthday. As I didn’t have time to go out shopping for him, I thought of surprising him by a cake. But when I started making it, I realized that I didn’t have enough eggs with me.So I called my front door neighbour and friend P, she not only gave me eggs, but came to see if I was doing it alright.
And thank god she came, because it was she who noticed that I had used Rice flour in place of Maida!!!! So, I discarded the flour and started again from scratch.
But now I am pretty confident with this cake, and make it very often. I have also replaced maida with whole wheat flour for health reasons
|Hubby’s birthday cake – The 1st cake i baked…|
Eggs – 4 medium sized
Powdered Sugar – 1¼ Cup
Whole Wheat flour – 1 Cup (you can use Maida, but I find this healthier and tastier 🙂 )
Cocoa Powder – ½ cup (I use cadbury’s cocoa powder)
Baking powder – ½ tspoon
Mitha Soda – a pinch
Oil – ¾ cup
Vanilla essence – 1 tspoon
1) Sieve the flour, Baking powder, Mitha soda and cocoa powder together using a sieve (or you can simply mix them with your hands).
2) Break egg and keep egg whites separate from yolk.
3) Now, put egg whites in food processor and run it on low speed. (if you don’t want to use it then use beater to beat egg whites)
4) Add sugar to food processor and continue to run it. (in place of food processor beater can be used)
5) Add Vanilla essence.
6) Add the flour little by little while still running the food processor. (If not using food processor, fold it using a wooden spoon a little by little)
7) Add Egg yolk. Let it mix well and stop food processor. (Use the beater if not using food processor)
8) If you find the consistency of the batter too thick then you can add a little milk or fresh cream and then mix well.
9) Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree C.
10) Grease a baking tin using oil and flour. Remove extra flour from the greased tin. (Or you can use butter paper as well.)
11) Pour the batter in the baking tin.
12) Bake it in the oven for 30 minutes or till the knife comes out clean. (You can put a knife in the cake and if it comes out clean that means the cake is ready.)
13) Take it out on a wire rack and let it cool.
Decorate if you wish to and cut it and enjoy it 🙂