But as I’ve shared before I was hardly interested in cooking while I was working full time. So never asked my colleagues who knew how to make it.
But after shifting to Noida, I’ve been missing this simple fare a lot. And one afternoon I decided to make it. I could have called my colleagues to get the authentic recipe, but I remembered that it was the weekly meeting time for them and I HAD to cook the daal. So I decided to just guess the recipe and make it..
This is by no means the authentic Andhra methi daal recipe, but it is delicious, healthy and gets ready in jiffy!!
Oh and the measurements are all eye balled. But that won’t harm the taste of this simple daal much..
|Methi Daal | Lentil soup with fenugreek|
1 cup Toor daal (Arhar daal / pigeon pea split)
1 onion finely cut
1 tomato finely cut
1 cup methi (fenugreek) leaves, cleaned, chopped and washed properly
1 sprig of kari patta (mitho limdo)
2 teaspoon oil
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai, sarson)
1 pinch asofoetida (hing)
salt to taste
1 teaspoon green chili, ginger and garlic paste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon dhania jeera powder (Cumin and coriander seeds powder)
1/2 teaspoon sambaar masala ( South Indian curry powder)
1) Wash the daal and soak it for 30 minutes. Then pressure cook it till tender.
2) Meanwhile in a pan take oil on medium heat. Add mustard seeds to it.
3) Once it crackles, add kari patta and hing. Then add green chili ginger and garlic paste.
4) Add onions and saute till it turns translucent. Then add methi leaves. Cover the pan and cook till methi cooks too.
5) Now add tomatoes and cook till tomatoes get cooked.
6) Add dhania jeera powder, turmeric and sambar masala. Mix well.
7) Now add the cooked daal to the mixture. Mix well.
8) Adjust water and add salt to taste.
9) Let it boil on medium flame for 10-15 minutes. keep an eye on it..
Enjoy with rice or roti.. I would recommend adding a dollop of ghee to it 🙂