I have a love hate relationship with Pasta!! I know it is complicated.
Let me explain. I love eating pasta.. But I hate that it is one of those junk food! So just like many other favourite junk foods, I tried to turn it into healthier version. One look on my blog and you can see that I have been making healthier versions of Pizza, Cakes and Cookies.
So how could my favourite Pasta stay behind? Zini too took a liking for pasta.. So I had to act on this long pending item on my agenda.. And after much search around internet I got confident enough to make the pasta at home. So since almost 4 years I have been making this recipe of pasta and let me tell you it is very forgiving and so easy not to mention healthy with whole wheat flour and eggs!! It is actually easier than pronouncing fettuccine.. Believe me!!
So many a times we have these pasta as our last minute weekend dinner. Weekends dinners are those times when everybody wants their own favourite and I want some well earned peace!! So just a mention of these pasta and everything falls into place and we sit down to our dinner a happy family!!
The best thing about this pasta recipe (apart from them being whole wheat and healthy and fresh) is that, you don’t really need any special equipments or tools! You get out your old trusty rolling pin and a pizza wheel and you are set!! You can even cut your pasta in any shape you want. Sometimes I do heart and star shapes as Zini volunteers to cut them using cookie cutter. But most of the time I cut them in long stripes using my pizza wheel and get done with it!
1/2 Cup Whole wheat Flour
2 Teaspoon Oil
Salt to taste
Water (to knead the dough if needed)
- In a mixing bowl, take the flour.
- Add salt and oil to the flour and mix well.
- Now, make a well in the center and break your egg in the center.
- Using a fork, whisk the egg, at the same time mixing flour with the egg.
- Once egg is completely mixed with the flour, knead the dough. If you feel the need then add some water to knead a tight dough (like puri)
- Cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Now, take out your space age machine! Yes, I am talking about your rolling pin!!
- Divide the dough in 4 equal parts and make balls of the dough.
- Roll the dough ball using your rolling pin as thin as possible without tearing it.
- Now Using pizza wheel (or any other cutter you want) cut long stripes. Repeat the same for all the dough balls.
You can now proceed to cook pasta just the way you cook the store bough dried pasta… But so much better than the store bough stuff.
So easy, right!!
Go ahead and make yours this weekend and enjoy a healthy, guiltfree dinner!!