Everybody has a soft corner in their hearts for potato chips!! Put a bag full of chips in front of me and see a little greedy child come out!! But are those bag full of chips healthy for me? No!! Hence i try to maintain my distance with them..
As a child I wasn’t really exposed much to the store bought chips.. Reason? My mom’s OCD with home made food (You can read about it here).. So instead, every summer she would dry bataka ni katri (potato sticks), Sabudana bataka ni sev (Sago and potato sticks) and store them for a quick fry throughout the year!! And I so loved those Katri!! And I still prefer those over the store bought chips!! Yes, they are tastier.. And the chips recipe I am sharing with you guys is pretty much similar to it!! And did I say they are healthy!!
Yes!! Potato Chips and that too healthy!! Because we are not frying them! We are baking them!! And the added advantage of baking?!! You get to flavor it the way you like it! And flavors nicely seep through your potato throughout the baking!! It’s so easy to put together.. Easier than frying them!! And healthier than buying them!!
Oh and if you are a fan of chips like me then don’t miss my banana chips recipe..
Big potatoes – 4
Oil – 3 Tablespoon
Salt to taste
Garlic Powder – 1/4 teaspoon OR
Onion Powder – 1/4 teaspoon OR
Chilli flakes- 1/4 teaspoon
Cilantro (Dhania Patta) chopped – 1 Tablespoon
- Wash and peel potatoes. Now cut them into really thin slices. Use food processor or regular potato peeler for it. I used my trusty food processor do this dirty work!! In half a minute all my potatoes were sliced to the desired thickness, without any pain!!
- Now, take the potato slices in a mixing bowl, add oil, salt and whatever flavoring you are using. I used Dhania patta (Cilantro), garlic and chili flakes.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Now in a baking tray (lined with parchment or greased) spread your potatoes slices. Make sure not to put one slice on top of another. Each slice should get direct heat..
- In a preheated oven bake at 180 degree C for 10 minutes. After that flip your chips and bake again for 10 minutes. This time and temperature work perfectly for my oven, however in your oven it may vary. So, my suggestion is to keep an eye on chips while they are baking!! We don’t want under cooked or burnt chips.. Oh and if you are new to baking, I would suggest that you first read my baking for beginner post and then come back here.
- Once the desired crispness is achieved take out, let cool and devour!!