In Ahmedabad, there is a shop called Daas na Khaman…Khaman from this shop are my all time favorite, whenever i visit Ahmedabad, i have to have khaman from here!!!
|Daas na khaman – Ahmedabad (Image from here)|
But what when i am away from Ahmedabad??!! Of course, i have to make my own khaman. And i am very proud to report that after few trials and errors my khaman, now tastes as good as the Daas na Khaman, yippeeee…….
|Vaati Daal na Khaman|
So before i forget, i’ll record the recipe here…
1 cup chana daal (Bengal gram)
1 tablespoon sour curd
1 pinch of meetha soda
green chili ginger paste 1/2 tablesppon
2 pinches of turmeric powder
1 pinch of Asofoetida
Salt to taste
3 Tablespoon of oil
1 teaspoon of Mustard seeds (Sarson/Rai)
1 teaspoon of Sesame seeds (Til/Tal)
2 pinches of Asafoetida (Hing)
Cilantro – Cleaned and Finely Cut
1) Wash the daal and soak in water. While soaking water level should be little more than daal…
2) After 4 hours, grind the daal to a COARSE paste with little water.
3) Add the curd, mix well, cover and keep in a warm place for 7-8 hours for fermentation.Proper fermentation is the key to great taste. So ensure that it takes place….
4) Once fermentation takes place, add salt, green chili ginger paste, turmeric powder, Soda and Asofoetida. Mix well.
|Big Pateela/Pan before putting khaman plate – you can see the circular stand in center to keep the plate on it|
|After covering with a lid wrapped in a cloth|
6) Grease a thali (deep plate), or dabba (or anything in which you plan to pour the batter for making khaman – But should be deep enough so that khaman can rise properly)