Some of the foods were staple at our home during winters. Adad ni dal along with Bajara na rotla, Athela Marcha & ghee Gol was one of them. And this is one my most favourite food in the world. It ticks all the boxes for me. It warms up my soul on a winter night with its chili ginger and garlic masala and the ghee tadka!! And they are the secret behind this dal tasting so amazing, especially the ghee Tadka. When Mustard, Cumin, Hing and Kadi patta get fried in the ghee, the whole house smells heavenly!! And then this heaven is added to my favourite daal and the results are mind blowing!! This is one of the recipe that my mom learnt from someone else other than my grandmom!! Apparently, till my mom got married she hated Urad dal. However one day, her neighbour auntie came home with this dal. My mom tried it and then the rest is the history!! She not only started liking this dal, she also learnt to make it. And as her first born (that’s me!) was crazy about this dal, the frequency of this being made increased !! And my love for this dal is the talk of my family!! My parents still tell me that I would lick my plate clean, and won’t stop at that! Would even lick the kadai in which it was made (Psst.. I still do it 😉 )..
This Dal is Zini’s most favourite Dal too!! This was one the first food that she demanded for her dinners. Even when she didn’t know the name, she managed to convey by asking for the dal that is served in the plate and not in the katori (That is how we eat this dal)!! Now it is just called her favourite dal. And her love for this dal makes me a happy mom!! All this results in this dal being made every week in our household!
Let’s get making this soul food.. Shall we?
1 cup Dhuli Urad Dal (White Split black gram)
2 Teaspoon Green Chili Ginger and Garlic Paste
3 Tablespoon Curd
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
For Tadka (Vaghar / tempering)
3 Tablespoon Ghee (Clarified Butter)
1/4 Teaspoon Rai (Black mustard seeds)
1/4 Teaspoon Jeera (Cumin seeds)
1 twig Kadi patta (currry leaves)
pinch of hing (asafoetida )
1) Thoroughly wash and clean the dal. Add water, salt and turmeric powder to it and boil in the pressure cooker till becomes soft.
2) Once the dal becomes soft then it’s time to do the tadka. In a pan take ghee.
3) Add Rai (mustard seeds) to it. Once it crackles add jeera (Cumin seeds).
4) Now add washed and cleaned kadi patta carefully. And finally add hing.
5) Add the cooked dal to the pan and mix well. Add the green chili, ginger and garlic paste and mix well. Adjust the consistency of the dal by adding water if needed. If adding water then you may need to add salt accordingly.
6) Boil the dal for 7-8 minutes.
7) Now add the curd. Simmer on low flame for 2 minutes.
Enjoy the hot dal, it’s ready!!
- Salt plays very important role in the taste of this dal. Even a little less salt, kind of zaps it off the oomph.. So make sure that you add salt properly.
- It is best enjoyed with Bhakhari or Bajra na Rotla.. However it tastes great with Roti or rice too!! Or even on its own.